Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Michael Robinson Making Sense on Progressive Politics at TPM Cafe

Re: How Pathetic is Progressive Politics? (2.00 / 1) (#67)
by Michael Robinson on Jun 28, 2005 -- 04:11:40 AM EST

I just had an epiphany reading your comment.

I've never been able to put myself in the conservative mindframe of loathing and reviling "Demoncrats", "DemocRATS", "liberals", "the extreme left", "ex-hippies" etc. But suddenly, it hit me: it's the narcissism.

Narcissism is to the Left what hypocrisy is to the Right--the defining vice of one group that enrages the other.

Try this exercise: imagine the Left without narcissism, without the politics of the aggrieved, without the self-important "take my ball and go home" reflex, without the self-absorbed niche-market elitism.

Pretty hard, isn't it?

That's what's pathetic about progressive politics, not some pissant fundraising problem.