Saturday, January 15, 2005

It Was Paul Bunyan Cold Out Tonight

Good Sense is a Thing all need, few have, and none think they want.
--Poor Richard


It was Paul Bunyan cold in Minneapolis yesterday and today. I have a new theory: the more noise the snow makes when it crunches underneath your boots, the colder it is. Tonight, the snow was LOUD!

Fortunately, I heard about this cold front coming in a couple of days ago and took the opportunity to shovel the snow off the driveway as it warmed up to an unseasonable 30 degrees. The snow fairly leapt off the pavement. I had to jump to get out of the way. So at least the driveway was clear by the time this Dr. Zhivago of a cold front showed up.

Unfortunately, the wife likes to see the dogs get their exercise at the dogpark, even when it is -3 (windchill, -16) degrees. While we were at the dogpark we noticed that not a single other human being in the metropolitan area had made the same decision.

At least the dogs had fun for a while. I have been in -35 degree weather five or six times, but this is the first time I've had to wipe tears from my eyes because they were beginning to freeze my eyelashes together.

My first several winters here, the locals complained that it wasn't cold enough to complain about. I think we've got that off our backs this year.

Paul Bunyan links:
The Story of Paul Bunyan
Paul Bunyan: Friend or Foe?